30 April 2019
The Mauritius Turf Club (MTC) Racing Stewards today concluded an inquiry into a report received from the MTC Approved Laboratory QuantiLAB that the prohibited substance “11-nor-9-carboxy-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THCCOOH)” was detected in a urine sample taken from Jockey P K Horil on Saturday 20 April 2019.
Jockey Horil pleaded guilty to a charge pursuant to MTC Rule of Racing 53A (1) (b) for delivering a sample when directed by the Racing Stewards on Saturday 20 April 2019 and which was found upon analysis to contain the prohibited substance “11-nor-9-carboxy-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THCCOOH) ”.
In relation to the penalty, the Racing Stewards considered the following:
• Jockey Horil’s plea of guilty.
• The evidence tendered by expert witness Mr B Baudot with respect to the level of the prohibited substance in the jockey’s system.
• Jockey Horil’s clean record in relation to breaches of this rule.
• The remorse showed by Jockey Horil.
• The circumstances of the case as put forward by jockey Horil.
Jockey Horil was suspended from riding in races for 3 Mauritian race meetings.
Further acting under Rule 53 A(3) (a), Jockey Horil will be required to provide a urine sample clear of prohibited substances before riding in a race or track work.
Jockey Horil has forthwith provided a urine sample for analysis the results of which are expected this afternoon.
Stéphane de Chalain
Chief Stipendiary Steward